Cleaning microwaves…glamorous, huh? I actually polled some of my friends to make sure it wasn’t too lame to post about cleaning the microwave. But I’m trying to keep it real here and the truth is I was SUPER excited about this project.
You see, it all started when I opened up the microwave and found THIS:
My first response (of course) was to interrogate Brandon. His response was something like “oh yeah, I forgot about that…” 🙂 As you can see, it was very easy to locate the microwave culprit since we don’t have kids yet!
I recently found a wealth of cleaning tips on Pinterest so this was a great opportunity to start trying them out. Here is the process I used:
1. Take out the revolving tray and wash it with the rest of the regular dishes. I recommend doing this occasionally to sanitize anything left behind from regular use.
2. Fill a container with 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar and 1/2 cup water. Place container in microwave and bring to a rolling boil. The steam will loosen anything baked on the sides. Note: This will also remove any lingering odors. This is especially helpful for those smells that are seemingly impossible to eliminate like burnt popcorn.
3. Wipe out the inside of the microwave and door with a bleach-free cleaning solution. I prefer Mrs. Meyers All Purpose Cleaner in Lemon Verbena. You can find product information here.
4. Wipe down the outside of the microwave with a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water. (I actually let the mixture cool down from step 2 and used it to clean the outside of the door for a streak-free shine)
5. Re-insert the newly cleaned interior tray.
6. Sigh deeply and admire your sparkling clean microwave…
I hope you all had a great weekend. Brandon and I got SO much done this weekend and finally made our trip to Ikea. I can’t wait to show you some of our new projects!